First exhibition of the capital of the Christian church
WILMINGTON âFirst Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) at the corner of Columbus and North Walnut streets recently completed a series of 12-month capital projects on their 113-year-old sanctuary.
The final campaign task was to reinstall 16 recently renovated stained glass windows in the church dome (the church has 72 in total). These windows were removed in October 2020 in preparation for the church roof replacement and have been restored to their original beauty by Beauverre Riordan Stained-Glass Studio of Middletown.
The pastor affectionately named the windows facing in cardinal directions after the 12 apostles, and the four corner windows for the Gospels.
If you walk past the church at night you will be captivated by the light that emerges from the dome, the church’s reminder to the community of John 1: 5: “The light shines in darkness and darkness does not. have not overcome. “
The $ 250,000 “Raise the Roof” campaign – 10 times the original cost of the building constructed in 1908 – included major repairs to the roof, chimney and drains, painting of exposed wood surfaces, including the large cupola, repair and painting of the sanctuary ceilings and walls, technology upgrades to dramatically improve live broadcast capabilities for worship and special programming, and the final project, the stained glass project in the cupola.
These updates and repairs were carried out during much of the pandemic shutdown and were made possible through the leadership of church administrators, the hands-on work of a dedicated group of members, and generous donations from members. and friends of First Christian Church, a Wilmington congregation founded in 1828.
These projects have provided the congregation with a safe and beautiful sanctuary in which to worship for many generations to come. To this end, an act of dedication to the glory of God for the church and the church family was shared in praise on Sunday, December 19.
First Christian Church would like to express its gratitude to everyone who supported this project and to the talented artisans and craftspeople who got the job done on time and on budget – truly a blessing!
The First Christian Church is headed by the Reverend Dr. Tom Stephenson.
This composite photo shows two views of the project.