The lighthouse church moves to the old building of the first Christian church
WNLP’s Mike Kellems Story and Photos
story we brought to you in April.
Lighthouse Church, formerly based in a church just north of La Porte, recently moved from this building to the Ind. 39 and started looking for a new place to call her home. For several weeks, the congregation met at the Quality Inn hotel on Pine Lake Avenue. When First Christian Church held its last service on April 25, its building in Monroe and Maple at La Porte was put up for sale. The Lighthouse Church Board of Directors saw the right opportunity and within weeks they purchased the old First Christian property.
On Sunday May 30, Lighthouse held its first service at the new location.
According to Acting Pastor Walt Kowalski, Lighthouse closed on the property on May 21 and church members immediately took action to have the building ready for their first service.
At the May 30 service, the pastor opened the service by stating, “What an incredible opportunity we now have to come together and worship,” then shared with the congregation a message found in Psalm 150 that uses the word ” praise ”13 times in just six short lines. It was evident to the enthusiasm of those present, nearly 50, that they felt they owed a lot of praise for the chance they had been given to purchase the building, which dates back to 1837.